It was just beginning to snow. Not too cold and not too windy...yet. I left the library at 4:30 to make my 4:45 bus. There's also a 5:00 bus I can take, either of which should get me to the transfer station in time to be home by 6:00. At the bus stop, it started to snow harder. I knew the bus would be there soon, and it wasn't too cold yet, so I didn't put on my gloves or hat. It grew later, darker, colder, and windier. I couldn't see Children's Hospital just across the street because of the blowing snow. Two ambulances arrived at Children's and one left. There must have been accidents slowing my bus. Finally, an hour after I left the library, I laughed as I got on a bus. I texted Chrissy with stiff fingers to let her know that I was sorry I wouldn't be home to put the meatloaf in the oven, and that she might consider calling when she was available to come rescue me at the transfer station in the even that I not make my transfer. Then I focused on wiggling my toes and defrosting instead of studying.
Just east of school is the freeway. There were police cars blocking the freeway entrance, which meant that all the traffic normally on the very congested freeway at rush hour was on the road instead. After we got past the interchange, the traffic eased up a bit. We were nearly to the transfer station when there was another police blockade of the road leading to Buckley Airforce Base. Again! Why? You guessed it...President Obama had to make it to Airforce One.
This development tried my otherwise cheerful endurance of the evening. I understand the importance of respecting and protecting the President and I am sure my busy schedule pales in comparison to his. But it seems unnecessary to inconvenience the Denver Metro Area full of people with commitments, since President's private jet leaves WHEN HE ARRIVES. Also, I doubt the President had any other pressing engagements that evening since it was already 6:00. Anyway, after the motorcade passed we made it to the transfer station where luckily my bus was waiting.
Things were looking up and I was warm enough to study on the bus. I got off at my usual stop, this time adequately bundled. I was about half way home when Chrissy called. She was sorry she hadn't seen my texts sooner and said she'd be there soon to pick me up. As we said goodbye, the phone slipped out of my hand, bounced off the ground and disappeared into the only storm drain on the block. Gone.
The morals of the story are: 1) Always wear a hat and gloves while waiting for a bus on a snowy day, since it might take an hour and you just might freeze to death. 2) Once you get on the bus, don't forget that the President may need to pass at any moment to further delay your journey. 3) Bad things happen to good people.
Despite yesterday's events, life is very good. I think I did pretty well on the test which is why I'm rewarding myself with this break before I start my Immunology take-home test due Monday. Chrissy and Brinton are doing very well, though she has complained recently of "feeling pregnant." I have been exercising most every day which makes a big difference in my energy, ability to focus, and my waistline. Since Christmas, I lost 10 pounds and my clothes fit again! We are enjoying Kantorei and have concerts tomorrow, next Wednesday, and Thursday. We have wonderful friends at Church and from school and are quite content with our situation in general. So mostly we are very fortunate, despite occasional bouts of unfortunate events. :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment