Friday, November 13, 2009

Kantorei!

Christina and I were accepted into a local community choir called Kantorei! We are very excited and feel like everything has worked out miraculously. Both of us had been missing Singers a lot recently. A friend of mine joined a choir and was looking at her performance schedule online. I recognized Kantorei on the list of choirs singing at the same venue, because Dr. Staheli had mentioned the group when we told him we were moving to Denver. We both signed up to be notified for auditions, but didn't expect to hear anything till next season, since the only advertised openings were for second bass and first tenor.

Monday we got an e-mail announcing special auditions by invitation only. I auditioned for first tenor and Christina auditioned for an alto spot that opened up unexpectedly. We met the directors last night at our audition and were impressed with their friendliness and flexibility. Since we weren't expecting anything until August, we were worried that Chrissy's pregnancy might prevent her from performing with the group. Drs. Larson and Pohlenz assured us that many of women in the group have children. Some of them choose to keep singing and others take a break. Whatever we decide will be acceptable.

We've actually never heard the group sing, but we feel like it is a good one. Dr. Staheli did mention them, which is definitely a good sign. Several alumni of Singers have been in the group. We love the repertoire they choose. They have been invited to sing at the South West American Choral Directors Association meeting in Denver this February. And lastly, they liked us, so they must have good taste. :-)

We are very excited to be a part of a high quality choral group again and feel so blessed that everything worked out okay.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting into the choir. It is something I have missed alot too. I am taking piano lessons now and I find that it is alot easier when I dont' have the attention span of an eight-year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Hope all is well with you both, we miss you down here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you guys! I think I didn't put them on my list because of their rehearsal schedule--or maybe they didn't have openings--or both. Anyway, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete