Sunday, September 13, 2009

After the first month...

Everything is going very well for us. We are enjoying making new friends as well. Last week, we had Sunday dinner with a nice couple from church and they invited Chrissy to go boating the next day (I was invited too but had to study). This Friday we went to the Colorado Ballet with some of my medical school friends to see Copland's Rodeo. It was a lot of fun. Tomorrow, we have a dinner with a group of LDS medical students. I guess the second-years started a dinner group last year and they wanted to include the LDS students from this year. It will be fun to get to know them better. Since we didn't join my med school friends for their debauchery after the last test, we decided it might be nice to have a few of them (my MSTP class) over for dessert and games a week from today.

School has been good so far. I just finished my first major round of medical school tests and I think I did well enough. I'll find out my score sometime this week. I am really enjoying the mixture of medical school and graduate school. I am trying to already practice the type of interdisciplinary thinking I hope to do each day as a physician-scientist. This week we had my favorite dissection so far--the thoracic cavity. Not only was it much easier than our other dissections, it was so amazing to touch the lungs and uncover the heart that kept a body alive for 95 years. It was much more awe-inspiring than anything we had done before, at least for me.

Despite our otherwise wonderful week, a few traumatic things have happened:

1) While swinging my backpack off my shoulder, I lost my grip and it fell to the ground, inflicting a dent on my otherwise pristine Macbook. Good thing it was an aluminum one, or it probably would have shattered.

2) I bought a used bike on Craig's List that broke the second day I rode it to school, just when I was really getting motivated to actually ride to school each day. I haven't had time to fix it yet.

3) Penelope (the pitcher plant we introduced you to last week) almost died, but we revived her.

4) Jake and Molly moved out after they closed on their house. The house feels lonelier for Chrissy, but at least they only live a few blocks away. We feel lucky to have gotten to know them so well while they were here. Jake and Jamie (their kids) refer to us now as their Aunt and Uncle.

That's about it for last week. The end.

-Nick

4 comments:

  1. This is a test of how to post a comment for those without a username on any of the sites in the drop-down menu. Let's see if it works...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Condolences on the denting of your Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to be able to comment even if I don't very much. I do read your entries and love to hear the details of your Colorado life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been a faithful reader, and have tried to post comments several times without success. We will see how this goes.

    ReplyDelete