Yesterday on the bus, I didn't notice anyone I thought was a terrorist, but I did fear for my iTouch, my Macbook, and my life (just a little). When I boarded the bus, two guys were talking about how many of their friends from jail they had seen on the busses that day. They were talking pretty fast in Ebonics, so it was difficult to understand--it really is like another language. Anyway, I heard gang names dropped and talk of illegitimate children, drugs, etc. Then another guy came on the bus, who I am pretty sure was under the influence of something. He sparked a debate with the first two about who was the best rapper in the history of the world--50-cent or Tupac. The debate became quite heated and people from the back of the bus started to weigh in as well. I was in the middle of what I was afraid would become a physical brawl. The first two men got off the bus and then, after they calmed down a bit, the remaining debaters discussed the inconvenience of having to take public transportation after they lost their licenses for DUIs.
I'm not in Utah anymore...


Sounds like you'd better brush up on your musical culture. And your Ebonics.
ReplyDeleteHaha, don't know if this is helpful, but it was for me. When we moved to West Philadelphia, instead of doing an interview to welcome us to the ward and get to know us, our bishop did a "Safety in West Philly" interview with Ty and I. Very interesting. But something he said stuck with me which is, "The perceived threat is always greater than the actual threat." You always think you're about to die, these guys are going to steal everything you have and leave you mangled, but really, the number of random crimes is so much lower than when someone's cousin's girlfriend ticks off someone and it ends in a gunfight and yadda yadda. You're probably a lot safer than you think.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, like I said, probably not helpful, because when you're on a bus with a bunch of questionable hooligans, there's no way you're going to feel safe, but just remember: Perceived threat > actual threat. :)
That's scary Nick! We miss you guys! Congrats again on the pregnancy! We're so excited for you guys!
ReplyDeleteChristina!! and NIck!! I don't know you that well Nick, but I still love you since you love Christina and you are a cute happy couple. :) So glad you found my blog so I could find yours! Congrats on the baby - SO EXCITING!!!!! I am glad you haven't been feeling too sick and hope that all goes well. Love you!
ReplyDeleteIt's Tupac. How is this even a debate?
ReplyDeleteChristina & Nick! I found your blog from Holly Moss's. I did try and look for it before but for some reason couldn't so I'm so happy I found it! I'm soooo happy to hear you're expecting! We are actually expecting our 3rd!!! It was VERY unplanned but we are excited. Makayla and the baby will be 15 months apart, so that should be "fun!" :) Hope you guys are doing great! I'm glad I can stalk you guys now! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, love it, no beating that story! (You didn't make your argument for Weird Al then I take it? Next time...)
ReplyDelete